¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba!

I remember when I was younger and my parents did not make a lot of money even for that time. I often had to borrow money from family or others to do things like field trips or even play sports. I never had the sports equipment the other kids had, mine was always a off brand or never fit properly. I realize, today, those things really did not matter. You had to have the right equipment for the right job but a truly skilled person could make the wrong equipment work. So a couple days ago I read a blog post about a girl that has the opportunity to compete in the 2011 Special Olympics. She earned this honor in 2009 by winning gold and silver medals in her country.

The problem is she lives in the Philippines and the government cannot financially support athletes competing in the Special Olympics and so help must come from elsewhere. This is where I hope you come in and help out. Emilda lost her chance to compete in one international competition because her family did not have the money and nobody backed her up.

The 2011 Special Olympics World Summer Games are being held in Athens, Greece. For the geographically challenged that is about 5,986 miles. Although the student center and the church can shoulder Emilda’s local and national competition expenses (also a lot considering their income), it’s beyond their ability to help her compete internationally.

You should know by now that I enjoy providing you with opportunities to be part of something bigger. So today I want to simply let you know that Emilda's parents are unable to pay her way to Greece and neither is the Philippine government. Her need is $19,857.

You can help her out by clicking this link and giving a one time donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clip to Evernote