Every Day Carry (EDC): On Person

Yesterday a co-worker asked me why I carry a multi-tool around with me every day. I told him you would not be able to count the times having a cutting tool with me came in handy. From opening those awful blister packs for the kids at the mall to random small cutting tasks, especially around the Holidays, it has been so handy to be able to reach in my pocket and have it taken care of. Last night I was playing soccer and a team-mate had a splinter in his finger. When I said, "Why don't you take it out?" He said, "I have to wait till I get home to get some tweezers." I provided him with tweezers on the spot from right out of my pocket. BAM! Metal shard removed. I understand these things are not life threatening events but there is something to be said about comfort. His exact words to me were, "I never thought to ask anybody if they had tweezers."

So what should you carry on your person everyday? After much research and experience and in my current environment, here is what I came up with:
  • Watch - Time and Navigation.
  • Wallet - Identification, Cash, Emergency Information Card
  • Keys - Auto/Home Access and Whistle
  • Multi-Tool or Knife - My recommendation is the Gerber Dime for light duty tasks.
  • Phone - Call Someone, Infinite App Solutions
  • Protection - Optional depending on your area but never a bad idea.
These things are the minimum and really take about 5 seconds to put in your pocket each morning and chances are you already carry most of these every day anyway. Special mention to the "Urban Prepper" for being the most helpful and realistic in my research.

Wait, What does this have to do with the Bible? While it doesn't directly relate, the Bible certainly speaks a lot about being prepared for everything. Jesus was the King of Preparedness, in fact, I believe He is currently preparing a place at this very moment (John 14:3). Maybe I will dedicate a whole post to the the Greek word: παρασκευάζω | (par-ask-yoo-ad'-zo) - to prepare. Which is incidentally where the word parachute was derived.

-- δῷ τίς παρασκευάσεται εἰς πόλεμον (1 Corinthians 14:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clip to Evernote