I Don't Want to Hear It!

If you have ever watched your sons heart broken as he cries uncontrollably, I can identify. This was not the first time this has happened to me and he is only six. It makes me as a father want to beat up this broken world and make it apologize for all the hurt and pain it causes. The reality is, this world is too big and too broken and we would lose the battle (John 15:19).

So my son has been talking a lot in school after a big break for the recent snow storms. I inquired as to why he was talking so much all of a sudden in class and he burst out into tears. He said, "when I sit next to my buddies they sometimes are doing their work wrong and I want to help them and sometimes I need help and have to ask my other friends because I just didn't know what I was supposed to do." Now, he is just about to turn six and he tends to tell the truth to a fault. Anytime he does something wrong, he tells on himself before anyone else can. So whatever he tells me, especially in tears, I am going to believe. So I asked him, if you need help, why don't you raise your hand and ask the teacher? His response was, "I did used to do that but the teacher would just tell me, 'I don't want to hear it,'  because she says she doesn't want to hear tattling." My response was, if you need help, that is not tattling. He continued, "I know but she doesn't even let me finish, it is like, I need .. then she innarups (interrupts) me and just says ' I don't want to hear it!' so if I ask I get yelled at and I don't want to lose my recess (insert more tears here), and, well, there was one time I got to say, I need help and she just said, 'you can figure it out yourself' but I couldn't daddy, I really didn't know what to put." So, I hugged him and held him and told him, I am proud of him and I love him, and it will be OK.

Now don't go trying to get all the other details, my intent isn't to slam a teacher or mar a school with something. In fact, his teacher took her own time to call me because she was concerned about him so blaming the teacher isn't my point (trust me they have a tough job having to apologize for caring actions for fear of being sued or fired; John 8:7), rather my point is simply... isn't it great to have a Father who always wants the best for you, listens to you, and will help you? Yes! (Psalm 141:2) You never have to worry when bowing your head in prayer that God, who already knows what your going to say, will ever tell you, "I don't want to hear it!" I find myself often resting in His arms as He tells me, this too shall pass, it will be OK (Acts 10:4). This wonderful truth stands in opposition to the busyness of this world. My challenge to you is this: Don't get too busy to listen and help." Even though some of us have priorities in the right place, we let the busyness of life take them over and find ourselves working to achieve something that in the end is worth nothing when we could have been listening and helping the entire time (1 John 2:15; Romans 12:2).
All Right HereThere will never be an end to, The request upon your time
It's your place to stand up and tell the world, You've got to rest awhile
And everything is important, But everything is not
At the end of your life your relationships are all you've got
-- Sara Groves



Basic 5: God created all that exists - Gen. 1:1; Isaiah 44:24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clip to Evernote