Why am I posting about humility today?
Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of a 46 day period of prayer and fasting commonly referred to as the period/season of Lent. That's right, you may have heard about Advent, the season leading up to Christmas, so here is another one for you, Lent, the season leading up to Easter.
Surely you have heard someone say, "I'm giving that up for Lent". What does this have to do with humility?
The whole point of the season is to humble yourself in preparation for Easter, not the bunny kind of Easter (although I do enjoy white chocolate bunnies and those delicious chocolaty eggs) but the Christ's resurrection from the dead kind of Easter! So in this post, I would like to challenge you to give something up this Lenten Season.
What should you give up? To answer that question we need to re-visit the idea of humility. Is there something in your life that is preventing you from being humble? Is there something your holding onto that is blocking your obedience to God and legitimate authority? The important thing to notice here is I am not asking if you are depending on something, rather than God. Most would say, I am giving up soft drinks or donuts, that is not the point, in fact I would argue you could easily take pride in the fact you skipped out on the Baconator Creme Filled Doughnut. But rather, is there something that doesn't benefit you that can be let go. Maybe take a look at the following areas:
- Finances - maybe God has been asking you to be obedient here, give to that charity, sponsor that child, be a better steward of what you have by not spending frivolously.
- Time - maybe you can read our Bible and Pray instead of watching that show tonight, or listen to God instead of music on the way into work.
- Thoughts - maybe make a conscious decision to think and focus on God instead of how cool it would be if you had a flat screen TV.
- Stuff - yes, stuff, maybe you can help out the least of these with stuff but instead of asking you to get rid of what you have, I'd say just get one of what ever it is and give it to someone else so they can enjoy it.
- Food/Beverage - again, I know this is a common area but instead of stopping it, share it with someone who doesn't have it.
Obviously, this is just food for thought. Let me know if you gave something up this season or plan to.
"As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on thing and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down you cannot see something that is above you."
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
"True humility does not know that it is humble. If it did, it would be proud from the contemplation of so fine a virtue."
- Martin Luther