5 Thing I Hope to do After Death

A couple weeks ago the grandmother of a great friend passed away and went to be with Christ. This, plus all the talk about Heaven and Hell, got me to thinking about what I want to do when I go to meet Christ myself.

1. Eat Breakfast. My memories of Granny Davis are great ones. She was quick to keep my friend in line when needed and always concerned for my personal relationship with Christ. My friend actually was staying at her house in High School and I remember the first time I stayed there. She yelled up the stairs, "Do you want pancakes for breakfast!?"  I said, "no mam, I am not hungry." She yelled back, without hesitation, "I will make them anyway!" You see, she knew I really did want breakfast but didn't want to trouble her, so about ten minutes later, my friend and I stumble down the stairs as the aroma of pancakes waft up my nostrils... but wait.. that doesn't smell like pancakes.. I get to the table and sit down.. WOW! We have a local diner that serves breakfast on a trash can lid because it is so big... Granny serves it on the entire table top. Sausage gravy, biscuits, toast, waffles, hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, jellies, butter, bacon, sausage links, and of course, pancakes! What a way to start the day. Then as I begin to dig in, she asks, "Did you want your egg fried or can I get you anything else?" No granny, you are great. I hope to enjoy a breakfast like this with you again one day in Heaven.

2. Thank People. I imagine sitting around the table are at least four key people outside of my close friends. My granddad, great granddad, Mrs. Hoffman, and Mr. Mudge[1]. We don't always see the impact we have on peoples lives in the future. These four people directly or indirectly are the reason I am a Christian today. I would live to share with them my experiences with Christ and how He has worked in my life after they were gone. Thank you great granddad for being the greatest theologian ever, thank you granddad for pointing me to someone higher than yourself, thank you Mrs. Hoffman for sharing the gospel with me and for the NT you gave me, and thank you Mr. Mudge for taking time to pour out some of your life and sacrificing some of your time with some high school boys.

3. Dance and Sing. I love to dance and sing but I can't really do either very well. Somehow, I don't think Christ will care if I suck at it since I will be dancing and singing because of the joy he has placed in my heart. I don't know for sure about this, he may change his mind about me at this point just to stop me, I doubt it.. he will probably invite everyone else to join in. Then, like in church, the larger the group of bad singers, the easier it is to blend in. Angels, help me out here!

4. Nap. Yeah, I know we will not grow weary but why not take a nap. I assume the day or rest means you can actually nap the day away and since time is eternal, it will be much easier to put things off till tomorrow, right? So I want to take a nap.

5. Help Prepare a Welcome[2]. Probably my biggest prayer each morning and evening is that my children are better Christ followers than even I am. I hope they choose to follow him boldly and the doubts and confusion this world provides does not stop them in their faith tracks. So the 5th thing is to prepare a party for them and my beautiful wife when they arrive.

Obviously there are a lot of other things I hope to do but these are 5 of them in no particular order.

[1] depending on when I die, Mr. Mudge may have to join the table later.
[2] also with the assumption that I go first.
[Scripture] Psalm 23:4; 1 Corinthians 15:54-57; Romans 8:38-39; Revelation 2:11; 2 Corinthians 5:8; Philippians 1:22-23; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 14:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clip to Evernote